Getting this without any explanation - "Can’t perform this action" "Something went wrong"

I am trying to Save & Publish a dataset after removing one of the joined tables, and it just throws this unhelpful error. The response from the api is:

{
    "errorCode": null,
    "message": null
}

Hi @Gary_Delancy, Please check if you have any calculated column that is referring columns from the table that you removed? If you don’t have any calculations then it would be best to raise a support ticket to debug this further.
Here are the steps for opening a support ticket - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support . If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf

Regards,
Karthik

1 Like

Thanks Karthik,

I verified that no calculated columns exist in this dataset at all.

Hi @Gary_Delancy - Welcome to QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question. Can you please give more details on the data set like

1. What is the source for the data set.
  2. Are you able to see any sample data in data set page.
  3. Is there any custom sql used in the data set.
  4. Are you an author or reader ?

This will help us to advise you the right solution. In parallel, as suggested by @Karthik_Tharmarajan submit a ticket to AWS Customer support so that they can review the issue by screenshare.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Thanks Sanjeeb,

The source for the dataset was another dataset (RDS-> Spice data), and 3 other sources, all joined.

This one of the sources was recently deleted, and therefore this dataset was in error.

Once I removed this table from within the editor, then I was able to see the sample data just fine. It just wouldn’t save+publish so I could use it downstream.

In the end, I am just deleting this data set completely and starting over. :man_shrugging: . I am able to recreate the analysis and dashboard items again against a new data set. Hopefully, this doesn’t happen again, when I might have more things referencing it.

Thanks,
Gary

1 Like

Thank you @Gary_Delancy for providing the details. Glad that the issue is resolved. Can you please mark your suggestion as solution so that it can help other community member.

Have a great week ahead.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

I just got this problem and I just wanted to add 1 last thing that could’ve saved me a lot of time.

In this case, once you recreate the dataset, you don’t need to recreate the analysis and dashboard items : You can replace the old broken dataset with the new one :

Then it’s all a question of mapping the right columns together