Replace a dashboard from a "Save as" Analysis

Hi QuickSight Community,

I encountered what I think might be an issue. I’m updating a dashboard, and to avoid confusion from customers I wanted to maintain the same dashboard with link and alerts. So, I decided to “Save as” version 2.0 of the Analysis thinking I could just replace. It was my assumption that once I’m ready to publish I could replace the dashboard (which I own) with the 2.0 analysis, but when I attempt to “replace existing dashboard” I don’t have that option.

Am i misunderstanding this feature? Should I be able to replace that dashboard?

Thanks

@Kashgar – It sounds like you may have tried this, the “save as” is throwing me off. Did you use SharePublish DashboardReplace an existing dashboard? You will need to be an owner/co-owner of the dashboard to have this option available.

2 Likes

Here is more information: Copying a Dashboard - Amazon QuickSight

2 Likes

@Kashgar I understand you have DashboardA created from AnalysisA, but looking to update it form changes made to AnalysisB (copy of AnalysisA). Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the QuickSight console UI, you can only publish DashboardA from AnalysisA. However, using APIs, you can update DashboardA with AnalysisB as the source. Please try the following steps using API/CLI commands:

1. Create a template with AnalysisB as the source. A template is an entity in Amazon QuickSight that encapsulates the metadata required to create an analysis and that you can use to create s dashboard.

2. Update DashboardA using the above template as source. Updating a dashboard should create a new published version. This version should show visuals/sheets from AnalysisB. (Lets call this version 2).

3. Use Update Dashboard Published Version API call to choose which version is shown when accessing DashboardA via console UI. For example, version 1 should show the original DashboardA content before update, version 2 should show visuals and sheets based on AnalysisB.

(These steps wouldn’t allow you to publish to DashboardA from AnalysisB via the UI).

Hope this helps.

2 Likes