Unable to share Quicksight Q topic to my customers

Have problems to share the Quicksight Q topic to my customers. The steps for sharing the Quicksight Q:

1. Created Quicksight Q topic on the dataset
  2. Share the topic to my customer
  3. Republish the dashboard using the dataset

However, when I republish the dashboard. I did not find the option to add topic I made. We all use amazonbi account for dashboard and the region is N. Virginia.

I refer to the solution in previous Question - Quicksight users are unable to access the Q topics I shared But it does not work.

Regards,
Jenn

2 Likes

Hello @jenngao1, from what I can tell, it sounds like there could be a few issues.

1. The preview manager needs to be turned on for your user account and any user that wants to view a generative BI topic in Q
  2. You can share the topic directly with a user/group from the share button on the Q topic you have created
  3. With the preview manager enabled, try republishing the dashboard or publishing a new dashboard from the analysis, and see if the option appears to attach and existing Q topic in the publish options. If you have enabled the preview manager before, you may need to enable it again for your user. I have noticed sometimes it turns off.

Through these steps, you should be able to start sharing with users. Just make sure they enable the generative BI experience as well. I’ll mark this as the solution, but please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you!

Hi Dylan,

Thank you for the reply. I have checked all these steps you mentioned.  All my customers are viewer and using the account amazonbi.
  1. Have 1:1 meeting with my customers. I am pretty sure that they have enabled generative BI topic in Q under preview manager.

2. I have shared the topic to my customers. However, all my customers are viewers and do not have access to the topic even after I have shared it.

3. I have re-publish the dashboard from the analysis. I can not find the option to add the existing Q topic in the publish options.

The Quicksight Q works well before the storytelling feature has been published. Now my customers can only see story telling and executive summary when they Amazon Q icon in the dashboard.

Thanks,
Jenn

1 Like

Hello @jenngao1, are they able to at least view the topic in the Topics tab of the QuickSight console if they are unable to see it on the dashboard directly? I am unsure of why the option to link the topic to the dashboard on publish isn’t displaying here, maybe if you tried to publish it as a new dashboard rather than an update, it would show.

Just to confirm, the dataset that your topic is linked to is also being used in the dashboard, right? Also, if you are wanting them to view the topic editor portion, that will not be available to the user, it would just bring up the Q search functionality for them with questions you have verified as well as AI generated question options.

I think I find the way to link the topic to my dashboard. However,  my customers are still unable to see the Q search functionality and AI generated question options. 

My customers are viewers not admin for amazonbi account.  Does it matter?   

Regards,
Jenn

My customer is unable to use Quicksight Q in Chrome. After switching to Microsoft Edge, he is able to the ASK question bar but just one time. After he restart the edge browser, it ASK question bar disappear.

1 Like

Hello @jenngao1, I am curious, do they have any pop-up blockers enabled on chrome? I am wondering if that might be causing an issue with their ability to open the Q search bar if they have proper access enabled and are able to view it elsewhere.

I would also recommend filing a case with AWS Support where we can dive into the details so that we can help you further. Since the generative BI capabilities are still in the beta testing/preview phase of development, discussing these issues with support directly may be more impactful. Here are the steps to open a support case.

If your company has someone who manages your AWS account, you might not have direct access to AWS Support and will need to raise an internal ticket to your IT team or whomever manages your AWS account. They should be able to open an AWS Support case on your behalf. Hope this helps!

Hello @jenngao1, since I have not heard back with any follow-up questions, I will archive this topic. If you still need assistance after discussing this issue with AWS Support, please post a new topic and link to this question. That will ensure you are at the top of the priority list for a response from one of our QuickSight experts. Thank you!