Q pricing - User and Capacity pricing

Hello,
I’d like to understand the Q pricing model. With Q, the readers may spend a significant amount of time asking questions, so I’d like to compare the pricing models:

User pricing:
$250 (monthly fee) + 10 * $28 (10 Authors) + 200 * $10 (200 Readers capped at $10 max) = $2530 per month => $30360 per year

Capacity Pricing:
12 * ($250 (monthly fee) + 10 * $28 (10 Authors)) + $20000 (50000 sessions) + $18000 (60000 questions) = $44360

Now a few questions:

1. Are capacity users capped at $10 per month, too? If not, how do I limit some readers from draining the capacity?
  2. Similar to the above, in the context of “Capacity (# of questions)”, a few users may start asking 100s of questions and that’s the capacity gone! Why is there a limit on the number of questions in the Capacity pricing, when no such limit exists for User pricing, despite the former being offered at a discounted rate? e.g., 60000 questions a year is equal to 164 questions a day, that’s less than one question per day per reader if we consider 200 readers.

UPDATE: I actually re-read the pricing. It says bulk sessions OR questions. I’ve added them together, but they are probably alternatives in the Capacity Pricing model. I think I still have the same questions: In that model, would the per-reader cost be capped, or can a few user consume most of the capacity?

Would appreciate if someone could clarify.

To be honest, I am not the best to answer this, if you have an account executive that your company talks to I would suggest reaching out to them.

However, that being said, I don’t believe that users get capped. If they do I believe it bleeds over to other users. And then if the whole group goes over the capacity I believe that’s when you incur additional costs.

But, that is my guess.

Hope that helps.

@Apptimise Thanks for your question! I have reached out to our Q team to see if they may be able to help answer your question. @deepak Is this something you might be able to help with?

hello @Apptimise ,

Above calculations of different pricing model options for Q look correct, assuming there is no overage capacity usage. Here are a few more details to help choose the right pricing model

1. User Cap for Capacity Pricing
    Capacity plan users are not capped at $10 per month. Capacity Plan subscription works based on the capacity consumed and not the number of users (readers). So in the above example - In any given month, the account will be charged for capacity (questions and sessions) consumed from the total capacity purchased. If capacity consumed is more than what is purchased that will be charged at overage capacity.

2. Why is there a limit on the number of questions in capacity pricing, when no such limit exists for User pricing?
    We currently offer two different pricing models that customers can choose based on their use case
    Capacity pricing plan is best suited for use cases where there is not enough upfront visibility to the number of users expected or if the number of users vary constantly - this plan allows us to optimize cost based on actual usage and scale to any number of users on demand
    User based pricing is suitable for use cases where the number of users is well known but their usage varies on on ongoing basis - this plan allows us to establish a predictable cost and still scale for any usage required on demand

3. How to limit some readers from draining the capacity?
    I would like to understand more detail regarding this question. If cost needs to be optimized, usually, the right pricing model would not require us to limit users.

3 Likes

Hi @deepak! Great answer, thanks for the clarification. Just to understand this better:

1. So, in the Capacity Pricing: Is it Capacity OR Questions? or do we have to pay for the Capacity and number of Questions?

2. To answer the question you asked at the end: I give you an example:

• Annual cost of $18000 for 60000 questions in the Capacity model vs. 18000 for 150 readers capped at $10 max.
  • Now with the Capacity model, I’ll get ~164 (60K/365) per day, which means if each reader asks only 1 question per day, my capacity is gone. While I understand that our users may ask many questions (according to the nature of our service), which may make a per-user pricing model more suitable, I also see the benefit of the Capacity model in terms of not needing to manage AWS Readers. As we plan to embed our dashboards to registered users of our website, I am seeking guidance on the best approach to use in this scenario, one that allows for cost-efficient user access but avoids the complexities of managing AWS Readers.

hello @Apptimise,

Capacity plan consumes both QuickSight capacity (sessions) and Q capacity (questions). I suggest a meeting to discuss specific scenarios of your implementation. Please reach out via DM