No VPC Connection when creating an RDS connection

There is no option to choose a VPC Connection, having a hard time understanding this and if I try to create a VPC Connection in QS then I get problems with the roles “The role provided is unauthorised to perform the required action”
Hope somebody can help me out :slight_smile:

Hi @Sindri_Mar_Finnbogas - Welcome to AWS QuickSight Community and thanks for posting the question. To see the VPC in your RDS, first you need to add VPC in QuickSight. Please see the below screenshot for the same.

Note -

1. Note if your RDS and QuickSight are in separate security groups within the VPC, you need to allow the inbound connection from QuickSight in RDS security group on port 3306.

Hope the above details will help you.

Regards - Sanjeeb

I have tried that to add a VPC in QuickSight but the roles that are there do not allow it so it seems to me that i have to create new role. i just have limited knowledge of the roles and policies and so on, would you be able to connect and help me out online later today? I could share my screen and perhaps you see something that is missing :slight_smile: I’m also willing of course to pay for the advice.

Hi @Sindri_Mar_Finnbogas - Can you please raise a ticket to AWS Customer support team, they will assist you quickly and check your connectivity issue. It will be a real quick one.

To raise the case, please follow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support.

Regards - Sanjeeb

I am facing the same problem. I am not sure if something changed recently as I was able to add and have added datasets using RDS connector in the past but now it’s not showing me the options for VPC connection. Looks like a bug to me. I tried the same for Redshift and I can see the options.

Looks like a problem with the drop down.

Thanks @bhavya - Is your problem still persists or it resolved?

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hey Sanjeeb, it is not resolved.

Sanjeeb,

Interesting thing to note here, since the datastore I am trying to connect is a Postgres RDS instance, I was able to create a new dataset using a postgres connector. In the past, I have always used RDS connector for the same data store.

More reasons to believe that it is a bug!

I got a hold of an AWS Expert and it took very short time so the problem is gone for me now, not sure exactly what he did.

1 Like

Hi @bhavya - Can you please raise a ticket to AWS customer support so that they can see your screen and advise the right solution. To raise a ticket, please follow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi @Sindri_Mar_Finnbogas - Usually AWS team provided the solution in details in ticket summary. Is it possible to share to the community. Please ensure you removed the PII or PCI info if any.

Regards - Sanjeeb

1 Like

Do I need to be the root user on my account to create this ticket?

I have a basic plan and technical support is unavailable to me.

1 Like

hi @Ashok @Kristin - Can you help on this. @bhavya is not able raise a ticket to AWS customer support due to basic plan, any help from your side.

Regards - Sanjeeb

Hi all. Reaching out to some of our Solution Architects to see if anyone can provide more insight on what may be going on. Thx!

Is there any resolution? I am having the same problem.

Hi @justin-noba - Welcome to AWS QuickSight community and thanks for posting the question. To troubleshoot this kind of issues, it will be good if you can create a ticket to AWS Customer support so that they can verify your configuration details. To raise the request, please follow the link - Creating support cases and case management - AWS Support

Regards - Sanjeeb

Thanks for the quick reply @Sanjeeb2022 ! Unfortunately, I don’t have a support plan. It looks like @Kristin was going to try to get more details so I was just following up on that. It seems like this is either a bug in the Add VPC Connection screen or something missing in the docs (e.g. a permission I may need). My ultimate goal is to add RDS connectivity, but I don’t want to expose my instances publicly. It appears that’s the only alternative to adding the VPC.

Hey @justin-noba. (And @Sanjeeb2022) Thanks for bringing this back to my attention and apologies for the delay. I have reached out to a few more people to see if we can get any additional info that may be helpful.