I created a schedule in my quicksight dashboard such that a snapshot of one of my tables will be taken daily, and I can download as both a PDF and CSV. All my snapshots were working since I set them up a month or so ago. I downloaded one of the snapshots on 3/29 at 11 pm PST. Today, 3/30, I tried to download any of the same existing snapshots, and keep getting the error “no downloadable file”. I did not change any part of the table that the snapshots should be taken from (ie no change to calculated fields, field wells, filters - nothing).
I need help determining the root cause of this issue so that I can complete a fix.